Sunday, August 15, 2010

More Drugs in Sports

This is my first blog on this site so be gentle with me... for now.

Almost every month we have to hear about another steroid scandal in baseball. I'm sick of it. Not just because the player is cheating but because not enough players do it. As an avid sports fan, baseball has become boring to watch. So if you ask me, baseball could stand to do a few more drugs.

Who is really losing if athletes do more steroids? There are more home runs which we all know are what fans want to see. The score is high, the fans have more to cheer about so who is really jilted here; the record books?

You can easily tell who is doing steroids and who isn't anyway. Barry Bonds went from a scrawny, little outfielder to a trim and muscular DH in about a season. It was obvious. I like seeing the affects of steroids on players. They're goofy looking with their big heads and I know their balls are smaller than mine now. That's a plus for me. There are a bunch of big-headed, small balled guys playing a great game in which the score is 19 to 17. I call that a win.

Baseball isn't alone. Soccer could use some drugs too. Not for the players though, for the fans. Ninety minutes of nothingness going back and forth. It's dull, repetitive and has more actors than an Oscar Award Ceremony. Give angry fans more drugs and have them set more things on fire. Soccer fans do not set things on fire because they're angry, they do it because they're bored. They just had to sit through 90 minutes of dull and unentertaining sport in which the game was maybe 2-1 or 1-0. I appreciate a defensive game but that's ridiculous.

Also, I am a Dallas Cowboys fan and I remember being spoiled on their winning days back in the early 1990s. Many of the top players were doing highly illegal substances. When Michael Irvin wasn't crossing the goal-line he was snorting it. Might I add, snorting it while wearing his three super bowl rings.

I am not a drug user nor do I condone them in most cases, however; certain sports need a pep. Most sports have different record books for different eras. American football has record books for pre-Super Bowl eras and current Super Bowl eras. Why not just make baseball have records for clean baseball and drug induced baseball. No one loses.

Next time I go to a Texas Ranger game I hope to hear the announcer yell "going, going, GONE," 13 or 14 times. I can catch a souvenier and laugh at the funny headed guy jogging the bases for the third time this game.

Thanks for reading,
Grant V. Ziegler

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps you can spice the games up by dashing naked across the field. Isn't that what we really are all hoping to see anyway when we take the trouble to go to sporting events? Except for NASCAR, then it's just for the crashes and carnage. Actually, seeing a naked guy get smeared across the track by a speeding stock car would be pretty cool too.......

    ReplyDelete