Monday, August 16, 2010

Industrial Strength Balls

Industrial is the music style/genre I most often relate to and enjoy. It's a glorious fusion of hard synthesizer beats, electronic drums and guitars. It has the capability of inducing a stomp-fest that brings a building straight to the ground or it can lure you into sexual escapades with its howlingly beautiful rhythms. Without industrial music synthpop artists that have taken over our airwaves would not exist. That's right Lady Gaga, without all electronic keyboard and synthesizer music you wouldn't be anything more than a drag-queen with down syndrome.

However, I'm finding this music breed to be losing its moxy. Front runners like Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails have fallen to the wayside and although that leaves room for someone to take the spotlight I haven't seen anyone stepping up to the plate.

Marilyn Manson is getting fat on his all Haribo Gummy Bear and Mansinthe diet. His lyrics don't rhyme anymore and his ass hasn't been seen on stage in almost four tours. Trent Reznor went political, shaved his head and apparently forgot how to play music in between it all. Someone needs to get Trent some more drugs and another bad relationship to write about so we can hear a decent album from him again.

Oh, I remember the days of industrial mainstream. Teenage angst was fueled by lyrics such "I wanna fuck you like an animal" by NIN and "I'm Guilty and you're Guilty too" by Gravity Kills. Senators everywhere wanted to shut down and protest albums like Downward Spiral and Antichrist Superstar. That's how I knew industrial meant something. Kids were killing themselves to these albums and honestly, that's something to be proud of.

Industrial still has hope. With this electronic music generation we live in, some synthed out band is destined to make its way to the top. I'm pointing my finger at Combichrist. They're loud, forceful, creative and their tours disappoint no one. Without Combichrist, industrial music barely has a voice. With block rockin beats such as "This Shit Will Fuck You Up" and "Get Your Body Beat," Combichrist has empowered a movement in the industrial culture that has taken over smaller stages and dance clubs everywhere. Someone, somewhere will notice one day.

Locally, I'm blessed in the industrial scene. If the world had what I have now they'd still be paying their whiplash bills after rocking their industrial cocks out. A portion of my paychecks tend to go towards the Razorblade Dolls, Red Pyramid, Rivethead, Bit_Rot, and Scary Cherry and the Bang Bangs. I couldn't be happier to throw money at these acts. If it keeps them making music I'm for it.

I don't know if these bands will be the next wave of what's on your radio, but for music's sake and especially industrial's sake; I sure hope so.

Thrill Kill Kult is still making music, so are Skinny Puppy, Rammstein, Das Ich and :Wumpscut:. All these bands have different ways of making industrial music sound good and I hope they become an inspiration to others as much as they have been to me. That way someone who has more musical talent than I, can come along and break this barrier from underground to global domination.

Thank you for reading,
Grant V. Ziegler

1 comment:

  1. So happy you mentioned Thrill Kill Kult! My friend Marcy was the chick in their song who repeatedly said: "Everybody thinks I'm high, and I am." I hated to miss them when they came to town a couple of weeks ago.

    Ready to be envious? Check out: http://www.numbersnightclub.com/index.php?page=past

    I started going to this club when I was 15 in 1983. I was there as much as I could be until 1992. And still return to Houston for Classic Numbers on Friday nights as often as I can. Ah! Memories!
    Kelly J Kitchens

    ReplyDelete